Each house presents a cosy house in its own way, but in one they all agree. It should not only be warm and beautiful but also quiet. Nobody likes to live in constant noise, so all walls and ceilings need high-quality sound insulation.
But, even if it is done, it is not necessary that the house will be quiet. There are also windows through which the street hum and noise can penetrate into the room. Especially if the building is on a busy street.
How to Protect Your House From Noise
Everyone like peace and calmness especially in his house. But sometimes troubles come from outside such as unbearable noise. And it’s sometimes difficult to overcome. So there a proper and proper solution that we will discuss in our article.
It is believed that if the windows are completely sealed, the problem of soundproofing will be solved. This is true, but achieving such an effect is not easy. The main difficulty is that it is quite easy to get rid of the only high-frequency noise. The simplest single-chamber double-glazed windows handle this task.
But here to remove the noise of low frequencies is much more difficult. To do this, you need to install a double-glazed unit, and in some cases, additional glazing.
Add Additional Sound Insulation
- For quality sound insulation is extremely important and competent installation of the window unit. Unfortunately, over time, even perfectly installed windows begin to skip sound, they need additional noise insulation.
- To implement it, you can choose one of several possible ways. The easiest way is to curtain the window opening with thick heavy curtains that will drown out sounds from the street. As an option, you can consider installing special sound-absorbing blinds.
- If this seems unacceptable, you should carefully examine the window to see how tight the design is.
- First, you need to determine how tightly it closes. To do this, take a piece of paper and try to push it between the frame and the window sash. If the sheet has entered freely, then the gap is too large and requires adjustment.
- The easiest way to do this is if the window unit can function in two modes. It will be enough to install a winter variant when the leaf is pressed against the frame as tightly as possible.
- If this did not work, you’ll have to adjust the design. To do this, open the sash and find the adjusting scissors on its inner surface. Then take the hexagon and twist the screws a little. So you can determine which of them are responsible for the degree of compression of the structure to the frame, and which – for the position of the leaf relative to the window block.
How To Adjust Windows of Your House
After this, the unit should be adjusted so that when the window is closed, the sheet of paper is tightly clamped between the leaf and frame and does not fall down.
If, after the adjustments made, the noise level has dropped slightly, it means that the seam-welded between the window opening and the profile has lost its tightness. In order to make sure of this and take the necessary measures, it is necessary to remove the windowsill and slopes from plastic, if any.
The assembly seam is carefully inspected and tested for strength. All areas where the old foam crumbles or is kept very poorly should be carefully cleaned. After that, the aperture gently fills.
A radical way to improve sound insulation – finishing slopes with plaster. As an option, polystyrene sandwich panels with a thickness of about 24 mm can be used to decorate the slopes. A layer of mineral wool must be laid under the cover as a sound absorber.
Improve the soundproofing will help and a massive window sill made of stone or wood. If this was not enough, you need to change the double-glazed windows.
They, in fact, are original transmitters of noise penetrating from the street into the dwelling. The outer glass receives an acoustic wave and transfers it further into the air chamber, from where the wave enters the next glass, which passes it to the room already.
It becomes clear that the structure of the double-glazed window can extinguish or at least reduce the strength of the sound wave. To reduce the resonance, several methods can be used. The simplest is the use of glass with a polymer coating.
You can install triplexes. These are glued together glass sheets. To get a good soundproofing effect, you need to put triplexes with a thickness of at least 9 mm.
Double Glazing Windows
A good result will be the installation of a double glazing unit with a larger number of glasses than before. For example, you can put a two-chamber package instead of a single-chamber package. Good protection against noise construction with a glass of different thickness, which is installed at different distances from each other.
It should be understood that the soundproofing of windows will “work” only with closed doors, so it is worth considering the installation of a supply valve. The device will allow ventilating the room without opening the windows. If the house is on a busy street, it is better to choose special noise protection models.
It happens that all these activities do not give the desired effect. Then you should think about installing new windows.
And even at the design stage of new designs, you should think about the maximum protection from the sound.
Perhaps the best option is to install a system with an additional glazing circuit. Such models are also called Finnish. They are a regular double-glazed window with an additional sash, which is located on the outside of the structure. It is important that the distance from the addition to the main leaf is large enough that it allows the resulting air cushion to effectively extinguish the acoustic wave.
Protecting your home from noise is not so difficult. You need to be cautious, patient and follow all the instructions exactly.
If everything is done correctly, the house will not only be comfortable but also quiet.
Also, there is a video related that will help you to understand, that how you can overcome your house noise pollutions.